Thursday 7 February 2013

A Cheats Guide To Making Cake Pops.

I am going to start this blog with a confession......Although my name is the 40 Year Old Domestic Goddess it is I am afraid to say a little bit of a white lie..........I am 40ish and I am a Domestic Goddess when it comes to organising my family, cleaning and generally making everything look lovely but in the cooking department things are a little different. I am the most useless cook known to man.

The Northern Mother knowing this fact decided to buy me for Xmas a little gadget which she hoped would make me feel less of a failure when my kids remind me of how wonderful it would be to have cakes made for them when they get in from school.


I have never made Cake Pops and my kids are always going on and on about them so with that in mind I thought I would seize the day and have a bash. Now as I explained before I am a rubbish chef and will cut corners to save time anywhere I can.....Keep this in mind and don't judge me as I walk you through my first ever batch of Cake Pops.


1. The Instructions were quite clear so I heated the machine up until the green light came on.









2. After reading a few reviews about making your own cake batter I decided that a packet mix was the way forward, not only for speed, cost and time but also because the range of flavours was immense.















3. Made the batter in record time (No mess or weighing involved). Spoon into little holes being careful not to overfill.















4. Shut lid down and wait 4-5 minutes.



5. TA-DAHHHHHH!!! Perfect little round cake balls of yumminess.










6. Whilst the cakes are cooling, melt a little bit of chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
















7. Get the cake pop sticks and push into the bottom of each cake until it almost feels like it might come out of the top.
















8. Remove the stick and dip about 2cm of it into the melted chocolate then push back into the hole to set so that the sticks don't fall out.
















9. Use a colander to put all the bald cake pops into to dry in the fridge or in my case a very cold conservatory for about 20 minutes.















10. While they are cooling melt the rest of your chocolate and let it slightly cool down, I think this makes it less drippy when dipping the cake into.

11. Now comes the fun part.........Assemble all of your melted chocolate, sprinkles, sweets or whatever you want to use.















12. Take a baldy ball and carefully dipped it in the melted chocolate....Careful now.....
















13. Lift the ball out and hold upside down for a minute to let any drips run off, tap any excess off gently.

14. Hold the freshly dipped ball over the plate of sprinkles and spoon them all over.

















15. Put them back in your colander or Cake pop holder to dry.

16. Once you have done them all put the whole lot back into the fridge/cold room for about an hour.

17. Only one thing left to do now........EAT ONE BEFORE KIDS GET HOME TO QUALITY TEST THEM.











So there we go, quite straightforward.....Even for me. I think as I get better I will get braver and start to do different combinations. I have already had a go at spinning the chocolate over once they have dried and the kids thought they were amazing. There are many machines out there as well as Cake Pop pans I think its just personal choice.

Hope you enjoyed my cookery lesson.

Lots of Love
Me
xx

10 comments:

  1. Oh my mother in law bought me one of this gadgets for Christmas last year, I haven't used it yet but maybe I will now! Looking tasty! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi chicken
    I don't think there's anything wrong with using gadgets in the kitchen;I have a bread maker which is awesome. Home made is miles better than shop bought any day! They look gorgeous.
    PS Like the quality testing/tasting tip ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a good gadget. Thanks for reading hunny and leaving a comment xx

      Delete
  3. You cheat! I've seen other people make them and was in awe - now I know how easy they are lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love a baking cheat (let my husband do the real baking and I work it like you)...fabulous x

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx